Life in Vizsla Land

"Take one weary working woman, 2 crazy canines, one kennel-mate doggie daddy and add a multitude of ailments, capers and complications and you have Life in Vizsla Land. Where all the boys go from zero to 60 and back in a nano second. A LOT can happen in a nano second! "



Monday, August 23, 2010

Diabetes Waits for No Dog

Long day, really long day.  Thank God for my husband Doug who most days gets home before me and handles the nighttime feedings.  Rudi (#1) is diabetic and has to be fed in as close to 12 hour intervals as is possible so we can administer his insulin.  Sounds easier than one might think.  We have to plan social events, dinners out and early morning business appointments with the dogs in mind in general, but with the diabetes it is critical.  Rudi gets injections twice daily.  Recently his insulin product was taken off the market and he was switched to human insulin (Humulin-N).   We had to go through the adjustment process all over again.  He is actually still not regulated but we're getting there.  U-40 vs. U-100 syringes, hypoglycemic seizures, waking us up at 2 a.m. to pee.  Good times.  I love my dog, I love my dog, I love my dog.....but it was a really long day.

2 comments:

  1. I do the 2-3 am pee breaks, too. Just like a new born! I love my dog. I love my dog!!!!

    ReplyDelete